Wii Storage Solution. FINALLY.

edited July 2023 in Games
I’m sure everyone’s excited about the DSi and the new Punch-Out!! and the Chibi Robo Wii port and all, but the big news I took from Nintendo’s recent flurry of press releases was Iwata’s announcement that we will finally be able to play Virtual Console and WiiWare games from external storage!

More...

Comments

• edited October 2008
    I should start picking up some things from said virtual console. I recently picked up Mario Kart Wii and it brings back so many fond memories of Mario Kart 64 and the original one on the SNES (The other ones aren't as cool). Now I kinda wanna play them again. Along with some other old games. And now I guess I'll be able to download stuff with little regard for space?

*adds Wii points to Christmas list*
  • godgod
    edited October 2008
    Now I won't have to try and decide if I really want to download stuff before I buy it because it might take up too much memory. And I'm really not sure about the DSi. Yeah, theres downloadable content and a built in browser, but no backwards compatibility and the cameras are .3 megapixel. But now they announced not too long ago that it will play music. It sounds like its going to be like a PSP, only with good games.

X, I played Super Mario Kart about a month ago, the controls were bad and it hurt my eyes. I can never re-live that part of my childhood.
  • edited October 2008
    Good for you mario, updates.

I some how lost my nintendo a while ago. and I've bought vc games I own, which makes me sad.
  • edited October 2008
    god wrote: »
    X, I played Super Mario Kart about a month ago, the controls were bad and it hurt my eyes. I can never re-live that part of my childhood.

Yeah I played it awhile ago and remember the same thing happening to me..

odd, it's like they wanted to give us seizures or something...
  • edited October 2008
    All hail Vecna!Tread Necromancer!
  • edited October 2008
    My second-cousin can't play that game because it makes her [literally] sick.
  • edited October 2008
    The next poster legally changes their Deity of worship to Vecna the one!
    Yeah, one of the reasons I rented that game instead of buying it.
  • edited November 2008
    I always hated the coin system in that game
  • edited November 2008
    Haha! Welcome to the church of Vecna good sir!
  • edited November 2008
    Still a "Palin" Blob?
  • edited November 2008
    Huh? What do you mean by "Palin" blob?
  • edited November 2008
    Sorry. Blob-Of-Evil's status of "Palin of Vecna" was originally "Paladin of Vecna."

Palin is old news now, but he's still a "Palin."
  • godgod
    edited November 2008
    I didn't notice that. But the idea of Palin being a servant of a god of evil, destructive secrets does make me laugh, given all the facts that have come to light about her spending on clothes and travel and abuses of power.
  • edited November 2008
    Oh, yeah. I need to change my signiture too. I was thinking about useing that thing about Persepolis being the most depressing move with an Eye of the Tiger montosh.
  • edited November 2008
    Niiice.
  • edited November 2008
    I always wonderd if McCain was brainwashed by Vietnamese during the war. Scientologists can do it in a month, McCain was imprisoned for seven years.

I don't have anything against McCain, but I'm surprised the Vietnamese didn't try this. Don't say Vietcong, they were in south vietnam
  • edited November 2008
    ...What the hell does any of this have to do with the ability to play content from SD cards on the Wii?
  • edited November 2008
    I was going to say that, but I realized that that post was indirectly my fault, and I should keep shut.

But yeah I bought an SD card, It said it was make specifically for wii, but it looks normal. Curious P_'
  • edited November 2008
    ...That's a marketing ploy. It IS a normal SD card. It's just white and has a Wii logo on it. That's the only difference. The only real benefit you paid extra for is that it is not an SDHC card or some such thing which is not compatible with the Wii even if it is apparently an SD card. But mostly, you've been had. Any old 2GB SD card will work.
  • edited November 2008
    On the bright side, the pricing isn't always that far off from a regular ol' SD card.
  • edited November 2008
    I bought my 2GB SD card for fifteen dollars. Those Wii ones are like 40 or something.

By the by, Nintendo put an update out today (3.4):
    As of November 17, 2008, Nintendo is sending notices to the Wii Message Board announcing the availability of Wii Menu 3.4. The announcement lists these changes:

* USB keyboard support in Mii Channel
    * Enhanced parental controls

Two other changes have been noted:

* Improved SD card read/write speed
    * Improved disc reading
    It also blocks any homebrew stuff, probably because of all the backup loaders that have been coming out lately. Notably, they also changed their privacy policy so after this update you won't have to agree to let Nintendo install future update, so they can update the system without any user input.
    Old Policy

"To ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, we may download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console. In addition, we may disable unauthorized or illegal software that has been placed on your Wii Console without notifying you where necessary, in order to comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, and prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."

New Policy

"We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."
  • edited November 2008
    They need to make it so you can navigate the Wii menu without motion control. I was unable to use the Wii for months before I replaced my broken sensor bar.
  • edited November 2008
    I can use my classic controller to navigate the menus. Since the games I play most are Mario Kart and Smash Bros. which I play with my classic controller, I don't really use the sensor bar all that much.
  • edited November 2008
    Wow, Nintendo is pretty crafty. They sell SD cards way over the price of normal, and they make it so that you have to buy something as well if your Wii's motion is off? I just use Gamecube Controllers, though, so I don't see any need for the classic controller (besides navigating the home menu)
  • edited November 2008
    Well, for the record, It cost me 24.97. Thats only 9.97 for the seal of approval and .9g white plastic.
  • edited November 2008
    XoLore wrote: »
    I can use my classic controller to navigate the menus. Since the games I play most are Mario Kart and Smash Bros. which I play with my classic controller, I don't really use the sensor bar all that much.
    Wait, you can navigate the menu with the Classic Controller? Now why would they disable that for the Wii Remote buttons/Gamecube controllers?
  • edited November 2008
    I dunno. It's only with the joystick though, and it doesn't seem to support it through the gamecube ports, hence no gamecube controllers.

I prefer the classic controller anyway though except for having a wiimote tied to it and the fact that it lacks nice handles so if I play more intense games (Smash/Kart) for long periods my hands get sore.

Although at least it's semi-wireless without needing another set of batteries.
  • edited November 2008
    My new sensor bar is wireless. It's pretty neat.
  • edited November 2008
    If it's wireless, does that mean it's third party? How much was it?
  • edited November 2008
    By wireless he means it has batteries. The cord that comes off the sensor bar is only a power cord, it transmits no data whatsoever