Hollywood Unoriginality Ratio: My Bloody Valentine 3D

edited July 2023 in Movies and Shows
Geoff and I went to Century 12 Downtown in San Mateo last night to check out My Bloody Valentine, a horror movie where a miner kills people with a pickaxe...

More...

Comments

• edited January 2009
    You need the old red and blue paper glasses for an authentic experience!

Sounds like the movie might have actually been improved by it a little.
  • edited January 2009
    Well I will say, modern 3D movies look a lot nicer than the old red/blue fare. You get true colors, and after a short adjustment period (my eyes tend to water a bit at first) it looks pretty smooth. I just felt the movie underutilized the effect.

Now Coraline, on the other hand, looked simply incredible. You could see several depths of field in the picture, and when you combine that with some simply splendid art and character design, you get a beautiful picture that I can't wait to see with the aid of goofy glasses. The official website is a bit slow to navigate, but there are some kickass videos showing the creative process.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm unfamiliar with the Coraline story so I'll take your word on that.
  • edited January 2009
    Boy, you think those are Dorky? Go to the Glasgow Science Centre. The 3D cinema there has probably the Dorkiest looking glasses ever.

BEHOLD:
    813282772db8919102bal4.jpg
  • edited January 2009
    Strange. When I saw My Bloody Valentine, there were many trailers in front. Only Coraline was in 3D, though.

And yeah, the movie sucked. I felt that it couldn't decide if it wanted to be serious, or a campy homage to previous slasher flicks. So it did neither.
  • edited January 2009
    I think horror moviemakers are running out of ideas. Maybe they could do some sort of thing with lepers.
  • edited January 2009
    Horror movies aren't about ideas, they're about style.

There're only a few basic setups that work for a decent horror movie. Then they just need to present the complete lack of plot as impressively as possible. Be it tension or gore, or some other criteria.

And they did make a horror movie with lepers. The Fog. It was crappy and so was the remake.
  • edited January 2009
    It's like I can touch you!