We need a [spoiler] spoiler tag [/spoiler]

I dare you to contradict me!

Comments

• godgod
    edited July 2007
    Spoiler tags just scare people away from posts that are actually government secrets being passed from under cover agent to under cover agent.
  • edited July 2007
    I hear the gooseberries are doing well this year... and so are the mangoes.
  • edited July 2007
    god wrote: »
    Spoiler tags just scare people away from posts that are actually government secrets being passed from under cover agent to under cover agent.

Shut up, you're giving me away.
  • edited July 2007
    I disagree!!
  • edited July 2007
    I disagree with your disagreement!!!!
  • edited July 2007
    I disagree with you Amoeba Boy, and thus agree with Jakey!

EDIT: Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph. What are the damn odds?
  • edited July 2007
    I mentioned this in the Harry Potter thread, but I feel I should point out that since the forum themes use different background colors, a make-the-text-the-same-color-as-the-background spoiler tag isn't going to work for everyone all the time, and is therefore useless. I've seen other forum software (phpbb maybe?) that allows for a "click to see spoiler" code snippet, but both methods suffer from the same fundamental problem: it requires the person typing the spoiler to tag it manually. If everyone on the forum can be responsible about concealing spoilers, the existing methods work just fine (typing something to the effect of "SPOILER ALERT" in the thread title or in the body of your post immediately preceding the spoiler, not typing unrelated spoilers outside of the context of the thread's topic so people don't stumble across them accidentally, and most importantly, not reading threads that potentially contain spoiler content if you don't want to be spoiled by the topic as suggested in the thread title). Responsible thread-titling and equally responsible thread-reading are tried-and-true ways of accomplishing the goal of hiding spoilers from those that don't want to see them.

I'll keep looking into the matter, but I really don't think we can get much better than what we've got.
  • edited July 2007
    A lot of other forums I've seen make the
    tag black text on a black background, and you just highlight it to read the spoilers. I'm sure there's just a vb plugin somewhere.
  • edited July 2007
    That's what I've seen too, notably over on the Something Awful forums.
  • edited July 2007
    Ah, I hadn't thought of changing the text's background color as well. Intriguing!
  • edited July 2007
    I think white+white background would be less ugly.