Jury Duty!

edited July 2023 in Politics
:objection:

I am serving jury duty today! I'm sitting in the jury lounge, waiting to hear if I am actually picked to sit on a jury. If I don't get called, I think I'll cry. :'(

Entertain me while I wait to see if I can fight for justice and peace!

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I got out of jury duty the one time I did it. They called way too many people, so after 2 hours they sent half of us home, myself included, without even talking to us.

I was glad I got out, though. I don't like the idea of having someone's fate in my hands like that. Our legal system is broken enough as is, I'd hate to make a mistake and come up with the wrong verdict.

It was for a murder trial too, so I was glad to be free of it.
  • edited April 2008
    I hate jury duty. I went in last year and sat there all day for two days. get this - the first day i got there, they had us all sit there for about 4 hours, then came in and said that not enough of our group had showed up, so we all had to come back tomorrow. That's right - those of you who showed up are to be punished. :/ Then the next day I sat in the court room all day, never got pulled up to the jury box. I literally sat there allllll day. And there was this obnoxious woman representing herself. She actually asked one woman if she understood english just because she was asian. The lady just said, "uh yea... I was born and raised in San Jose."
  • edited April 2008
    Make sure you say things like "them danged mexicans" and "Bush is the best president ever". That'll get you picked right away.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm not 21 yet so no Jury Duty here! I could avoid it by taking myself off of the electoral register, but then I can't vote and I like voting!
  • edited April 2008
    Or, do what I did: Move to a different country and get 'permanent residency' but not citizenship.

You get all of the advantages of a citizen, without most of the disadvantages!

I am not allowed to vote or partake of jury duty, but I have the same access to healthcare, education and employability as a full citizen!

ADDENDUM: In the case of Australia, if nowhere else, you pretty much need to be white and from an English speaking nation. But plastic surgery and tutoring can fix either of those 'defects' if needs be. Failing that, genuine genius level IQ is a passport to anywhere. Because if you invent some crazy world-changing gear, any country would be more than happy to claim it as their own.
  • edited April 2008
    I invented Internet.
  • edited April 2008
    Today I saw the Boston Legal episode in which Jerry lied during jury duty and was being prosecuted for perjury. You should do the same!
  • edited April 2008
    I haven't been called yet, but there's still 4 more hours to go! Unlike Ryan, I want this terrible power. I hunger for it!
  • edited April 2008
    Civic duty for the win! I wanna do jury duty too. Just watch out for that damnable Commissioner.
  • edited April 2008
    I imagine that it would be harder to get selected, though, being a PhD student. I've heard from professors that they don't like people with that much education.
  • edited April 2008
    I refute the accuracy of that comic's presentation of the legal system!
  • edited April 2008
    Dude, that's Paul's autobiography. He was there, man.
  • edited April 2008
    Welp, I didn't get called. I have to wait another 364 days to try again.
  • edited April 2008
    So wait...you had to go all the way to the courthouse, and sit there for hours only to not get picked? You're an American mate, you should sue them, see how the courts like it when their time is wasted!
  • edited April 2008
    See, that's exactly what people need to STOP doing.
  • edited April 2008
    Night Lord wrote: »
    So wait...you had to go all the way to the courthouse, and sit there for hours only to not get picked? You're an American mate, you should sue them, see how the courts like it when their time is wasted!

Civic dutyyyyyyyy.
  • edited April 2008
    Free moneyyyyyyy
  • edited April 2008
    Money isn't free if you have to spend time and money of your own on due process and legal feeeeeeeeeeeeeees
  • edited April 2008
    Get one of those lawyer firms which get paid a small percent of your settlementtttttttt
  • edited April 2008
    I wanna be a jurist.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm kinda studying to be one. There are no juries in Ecuador, though.