URFBOUND

edited August 2013 in Games
http://starmen.net/forum/?t=msg&th=46159
eb_esrb_main.png

Reports from around the Internet as well as here on the forums indicate that EarthBound has been given an E-rating for the Wii at this time. Details are still coming in, but on the surface, this means one of two things: either EB is due for an imminent release on the VC, or the big N is tantalizing us yet again (like they did with Shining Force II.) Either way, there's only one option for us: Boundless Optimism Mode GO!

Celebrate now or I'll smAAAAAsh you.

Comments

• edited May 2008
    *shrug* I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be impossible for this game to meet all the hype you starmen have been building up over the years. No video game is that good.

Except for Burger Time.
  • edited May 2008
    I have to admit, most of the people who frequent starmen.net are crazy, I am fond of the game, but I'm not like, obsessed with it.
  • edited May 2008
    Okay, yeah, don't think this game is perfect. It has its flaws, like every other game ever released; the battle system, for example, is very straightforward and conventional, especially today. I love it so much because it's adorable and emotional and seems like such a wonderful oddball amidst a sea of medieval-esque RPGs. Obviously settings are a little more varied these days, but it still feels refreshing, and the humor in the game is unforgettable.

And yes, I am extremely excited about this. I will be downloading it as soon as it comes out.
  • edited May 2008
    I love the game for its awesome music, hilarious dialogue (make sure you talk to everyone!), cartoony graphics, weird enemies, and crazy ending. Also love the scrolling HP meter (the only game where your choice of text speed could mean life or death), weak enemy auto-kills, and lack of random encounters.

Unlike most EarthBound superfans, though, I don't like Mr. Saturn that much...
  • edited May 2008
    Yeah, no one here is obsessed with any particular video games here *coughsmashbroscough*.

And Mario, Burger Time may be good, but it will never beat the pinnacle of NES gaming: Anticipation.
  • edited May 2008
    Anticipation wasn't worth the wait.
  • edited May 2008
    hlavco wrote: »
    I love the game for its awesome music, hilarious dialogue (make sure you talk to everyone!)...

Oh don't worry about that. I talk to every NPC I can get my hands on in every RPG I play.

Anticipation was no Rad Gravity.
  • edited May 2008
    Rad Gravity was no....

Oh God, it's starting again...
  • edited May 2008
    Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing, actually.
  • edited May 2008
    11-03.gif

YYYYAAAYYYY!!! RAD GRAVITY!!!
  • edited May 2008
    Dammit, no Earthbound this Monday. I am pissed, because now I'm going to race home after work every Monday to see if it's out yet.
  • edited May 2008
    Don't hold your breath. There's a few games that have been rated for months and still aren't out.
  • edited May 2008
    Don't forget the ones that were rated and then un-rated later on.
  • edited April 2013
    So, this morning Nintendo announced that sometime this year EarthBound will be released in North America and Europe on the WiiU's Virtual Console.

Suddenly I own a WiiU.
  • edited April 2013
    Localize Mother 3 and we'll talk.
  • edited April 2013
    Have halfway decent games that won't play better on my phone (IE: actual WiiU games) and we'll talk.
  • edited April 2013
    Well I could just play the game on my SNES, but I had to do it as a show of support. Plus, I was going to need a WiiU eventually due to inevitable Smash Bros.

Off-topic, the Wii U is hooked up downstairs in my living room, and I'm up in my bedroom with the controller and it's still getting a signal. Suddenly my console is a handheld.
  • edited April 2013
    Has anybody ever used the marketing slogan "The power of a console in your hand" or something to that effect? I want to say someone at some point did so, but the WiiU may be the first time someone can almost legitimately make that claim and they haven't really tried to do so at all.

Probably a good thing. It'd just invite criticism of the WiiU's technical specs.
  • edited April 2013
    I think that might be a PSP slogan? Probably not.

Yeah, I will admit that the things they've done with the controller are hella cool. Though if the 3rd party games for it all use it for gimmicky crap we'll just have another Wii.
  • edited April 2013
    I haven't bought a Nintendo console for 3rd party games since the NES. I'll be picking up a WiiU after Nintendo realizes they forgot to make games for their game system.
  • edited April 2013
    Indeed. Though I'll say I partly bought a SNES for 3rd party games. I never bought an N64, but I will say I had an odd love of 1080 Snowboarding on that.
  • edited April 2013
    I wouldn't say I've bought any of their systems for 3rd party games either. But it would be nice if you could pick up some halfway decent ones if you already have the console for the better titles.
  • edited April 2013
    Takeru wrote: »
    Localize Mother 3 and we'll talk.

And Mother 1.
  • edited April 2013
    XoLore wrote: »
    Indeed. Though I'll say I partly bought a SNES for 3rd party games. I never bought an N64, but I will say I had an odd love of 1080 Snowboarding on that.

I had a Genesis growing up. I agree the SNES had great 3rd party support.
  • edited April 2013
    XoLore wrote: »
    Has anybody ever used the marketing slogan "The power of a console in your hand" or something to that effect? I want to say someone at some point did so, but the WiiU may be the first time someone can almost legitimately make that claim and they haven't really tried to do so at all.

Probably a good thing. It'd just invite criticism of the WiiU's technical specs.

A gameboy color ad in the UK showed a boy trailing a TV and his n64 miles way hooked up to an extension lead. He's just about to sit down and play in a field when his mum unplugs the lead.

So, sort of?
  • edited April 2013
    mario wrote: »
    And Mother 1.

Mother 1 was localized, they just decided not to release it because by that point it was late in the NES lifecycle and Nintendo didn't think Americans were into RPGs.

Somehow years later the translated ROM surfaced, somebody hacked the title screen to say "EarthBound Zero" instead of "MOTHER", and now you can find it online if you look hard enough.

But yeah, Virtual Console release would be nice.
  • edited April 2013
    I've played the ROM a little. I still want to play it on a console!
  • edited April 2013
    I recall something about a fan group translating Mother 3 and offering all assets of it to Nintendo recently. I believe they even said they'd completely redo the thing if Nintendo wanted them to.

Though being Nintendo, they're unlikely to accept the offer, but here's hoping.
  • edited July 2013
    Nintendo surprise-released EarthBound on Virtual Console this morning. You all need to get on your Wii Us that you definitely own and download it right now. It might just be the best ten bucks you've ever spent.

Also, in an extra bit of awesomeness, Nintendo posted the entire player's guide in digital form on their website.
  • edited July 2013
    Neat. Hmmm. I may have to...locate...my Wii U. It seems there is not one at hand. I mean how am I supposed to play the next Smash Bros with no Wii U? I HAVE to play it. They have Megaman in it.