Snap! (Spambot Discussion Thread)

Comments

• edited May 2008
    "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

I don't get it.
  • edited May 2008
    damn it, it was a list of 7 spam posts that I ba-leeted today. :(
  • edited May 2008
    I extremely dislike this new wave of spambots that circumvented our masterful thread-creation block by posting replies in threads instead. We're going to have to figure out a more aggressive means of preventing them from posting somehow. Perhaps CAPTCHAs will be in order for those not Better Than Registered Users...
  • edited June 2008
    Looking at the latest asshole spambot, I see that they're all coming from a timezone that includes Hong Kong. I'm gonna blame the forum's recent call for communism. Probably too aggressive to block the whole timezone, since at least one forumite currently accesses us from there.

Can't block email this time either, they're all using Gmail. Rats.
  • edited June 2008
    Why not just make it so people can't post at all until they've changed their default custom title to something else, and put a message in big red letters about it on the sign-up thing.
  • edited June 2008
    Hmm! I don't know if we can make such a provision, but I'll certainly look into it. That said, I think most automated spambot thingies fill in most every available field with something or another, so I don't know if this would actually do the trick.
  • edited June 2008
    A lot of forms nowadays throw in a custom field just to throw off the robots, something like "What's 2+2?" or "Type 'Never gonna give you up' in the box below". Robots can't figure that stuff out.
  • edited June 2008
    Stupid idiot robots.
  • edited July 2008
    Further Research Later! Turns out vBulletin 3.7 has a Q&A human verification system you can use instead of CAPTCHA. Might be about time to upgrade the ol' software to keep on spambot-fighting.
  • edited July 2008
    I concur! We need some absurd community question if we go that route.
  • edited July 2008
    What would a software update include?
  • edited July 2008
    Taking the forum offline during the brief installation period. Also Stef's vBulletin account login information to allow access to the download.
  • edited July 2008
    Go for it!
  • edited January 2009
    ok, spambots = out of control

I've deleted and banned three spam bots just today alone. and at least one every two days, if not more, for the past 3 weeks. is there anything we can do about this?
  • edited January 2009
    If anyone knows of a good solution, I'd be glad to hear it. The only surefire way to stop spambots is to require admin/moderator intervention in the registration process, but this is both too manually intensive and too restrictive for my tastes. I appreciate you heading off the spambots at the pass, Jakey, and will do my best to come up with a solution to this issue.
  • edited January 2009
    Have you tried shaking your fist?

Also, blaming the government may help
  • edited January 2009
    This is why I've needed you around! There has been a serious deficiency of government-blaming around here.
  • edited January 2009
    I've deleted and banned
    Oh man, I never realized I had banning powers. I hated deleting spam posts without actually getting rid of the user that made them.

The best way I've seen to stop bots is to add an easy IQ question to the sign-up page. Something like "What's six plus 7?". I don't know if they have mods like that in vBulletin, I prefer to use SMF forums myself.
  • edited January 2009
    Even something where you just have to copy and paste a line of text into a text box would stymie most of them, wouldn't it?
  • edited February 2009
    Lately I've been paying attention to the "Newest member" thing at the bottom of the main forum page. If the username/email address/signature/time zone seems suspicious, I run the IP address through this very helpful website:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

If a lot of spam is coming from that address, I preemptively ban them. Not really a comprehensive way to stop the incoming spammers, but I figure that we might be able to head off a few at the pass this way.