BALLOT ISSUE: Should voting for the State Comptroller election be reformed?

edited July 2023 in Politics
As Candidate Mario points out here, voting for the State Comptroller election occurred a bit prematurely. I think that perhaps we should suspend the current poll and revisit how the voting should take place and when. Please indicate your preference in this poll.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    We should choose the winner with a dance-off.
  • edited August 2008
    As my candidate has requested, an open roll call election is the most fair method to prevent voter fraud. I would further suggest that a single day of voting be appointed, so that we are both given sufficient time to fully present our campaigns, to allow the public to make informed decisions when casting their votes. This will also enable voters to write in candidates, as some have requested the ability to do. Surely my opponent would agree that this is the best course of action.
  • edited August 2008
    I agree. The voting poll I posted was premature. Let's consider it a prelimainary.

That being said, the recent poll results show a 50/50 split. I think alot of campaign work needs to be done on both sides if we're to have a clear winner.

Also, Braaaaaaaains.
  • edited August 2008
    i was debating between clicking "Redo balloting - roll call election" and "other" because i think we should go with "Redo balloting - roll call election, zombies are ineligible to run and / or vote"
  • edited August 2008
    The issue of zombie rights is clearly one of the largest on your mind, sir. We shall give it thorough and proper addressing during these debates, but as it stands, no laws exist that prevent zombies from voting. If you are elected into office, you can choose to further your stance and change the laws, but until that time we shall obey the law as it is currently written. No one shall be denied their right to vote in this election.
  • edited August 2008
    mario wrote: »
    The issue of zombie rights is clearly one of the largest on your mind, sir. We shall give it thorough and proper addressing during these debates, but as it stands, no laws exist that prevent zombies from voting. If you are elected into office, you can choose to further your stance and change the laws, but until that time we shall obey the law as it is currently written. No one shall be denied their right to vote in this election.

there is also no law granting zombies the right to vote. Though I'm glad you don't contend that they don't have the right to run for office.
    :takethat:
  • edited August 2008
    I agree. The voting poll I posted was premature. Let's consider it a prelimainary.

That being said, the recent poll results show a 50/50 split. I think alot of campaign work needs to be done on both sides if we're to have a clear winner.

Also, Braaaaaaaains.
    Actually, if you want a clear winner it would be best if campaign work was only done by one side. If both sides performed equally effective campaigns then the vote would just be 50/50 again.
  • edited August 2008
    Thus far, zombies have made no efforts to run for office as far as I'm aware. Should one make such strides, I would support them, just as I would support any other person.
  • edited August 2008
    Then explain Strom Thurmond.
  • edited August 2008
    Strom Thurmond succumbed to zombiism during his lengthy tenure in office. He was alive when voted in.
  • edited August 2008
    Dick Cheney.
  • edited August 2008
    geoko wrote: »
    Dick Cheney.

heh.
  • edited August 2008
    Dick Cheney is a Frankensteinian creation, a cobbling of various human body parts brought to life with the power of lightning. A Frankenstein's monster is not technically a zombie, since zombies are single individuals brought back to the living. Also, his craving for human flesh is generally relegated to that of young children, as their life force is required to maintain his immortality.

Honestly, Mr. Kottmeier, I would have expected a person such as yourself running for political office to know more about these matters, but I am happy to enlighten you.
  • edited August 2008
    Gentlemen, let's keep the debate on the issues in the established debate thread, so that voters can easily follow the exchange of ideas. This is for the debate on the voting itself.
  • edited August 2008
    You're absolutely right. I apologize for allowing my opponent to again steer a discussion off-topic. My opinions on the matter of rescheduling and reformatting the election have already been stated, so I will leave this thread to continue discussion along this course.
  • edited August 2008
    Actually, if you want a clear winner it would be best if campaign work was only done by one side. If both sides performed equally effective campaigns then the vote would just be 50/50 again.

Pffft. I never voted in that poll. If I cast a vote proper I'd be effectively choosing the winner unless there was another unplaced vote there to oppose me.

EDIT: On that note, if a secret one-day ballot could be collected but not revealed to anyone until the time is up it would be best, but only if managed by a trustworthy 3rd party who we can trust to be fair. Otherwise we'd have no choice but the open ballot.
  • edited August 2008
    mario wrote: »
    Dick Cheney is a Frankensteinian creation, a cobbling of various human body parts brought to life with the power of lightning. A Frankenstein's monster is not technically a zombie, since zombies are single individuals brought back to the living. Also, his craving for human flesh is generally relegated to that of young children, as their life force is required to maintain his immortality.

Honestly, Mr. Kottmeier, I would have expected a person such as yourself running for political office to know more about these matters, but I am happy to enlighten you.

:objection:

The Monster in Frankenstein in the original novel (which we will take as obvious canon) was actually a peace loving creature who only killed out of fear or bursts of anger due to his messed up moral compass as a result of his creator's actions. He is ultimately portrayed as one who deserves sympathy!
  • edited August 2008
    Gentlemen, let's keep the debate on the issues in the established debate thread, so that voters can easily follow the exchange of ideas. This is for the debate on the voting itself.
  • edited August 2008
    I don't see how that has any bearing on my statements at all. I never claimed that all Frankenstin's monsters eat human flesh or are evil.
  • edited August 2008
    Would someone be so kind as to explain the different options to me? I'm a bit confused.
  • edited August 2008
    They're ignoring the mediators and dodging questions.
    Looks like its officailly politics.
  • edited August 2008
    Would someone be so kind as to explain the different options to me? I'm a bit confused.

Redo balloting - secret election
    This means we have a new poll, but no one can see who votes for whom.

Redo balloting - roll call election
    This means we have a new poll, but everyone will be able to see who everyone votes for. (Like this poll right now).

Keep current poll
    Keith's older poll will determine the winner.
  • edited August 2008
    I thank thee Professor for making me an informed voter.
  • edited August 2008
    He's like our resident bill o'reilly.
  • edited August 2008
    At LEAST please call me the resident Keith Olbermann
  • edited August 2008
    Beith Olber'reilly?
  • edited August 2008
    OH GOD it's like Florida all over again.
  • edited August 2008
    I thought Jakey was the resident president?
  • edited August 2008
    At LEAST please call me the resident Keith Olbermann

nope. you are the no-spin zone!
  • edited August 2008
    The people have spoken! A new, open poll will be held soon, whenever both candidates can agree to a date!