IMPORTANT: Have you registered to vote yet? No? WHY NOT?!

edited July 2023 in Politics
http://www.rockthevote.com/electioncenter/

Voter registration deadlines for the presidential election are fast approaching. Everyone needs to be registered by the date their state mandates or they can't vote on November 4th.

Take the time to register, you can mail it in, head over to your local Secretary of State (or equivilent office in your state) or find a group taking voter registrations that you can trust and do what you need to do. There might be online registration too, I don't know.

THIS IS IMPORTANT.

I don't care who you're planning to vote for, but do your civic duty and vote in the November elections. Remember, it's not just a vote for the President, house and senate seats are up for grabs too, as well as local offices and whatever ballot measures there may be to vote on. Don't pay attention to the woefully inaccurate proposition commercials, read up on what the measures actually are.

:tmyk:

Vice-Presidential Debate
Thursday October 2

Second Presidential Debate
Tuesday, October 7

Third Presidential Debate
Wednesday, October 15

Election Day
Tuesday, November 4

All debates start at 9:00 PM EST.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    If you go through the change of address process through the DMV after moving, there's usually also an option to automatically notify the Secretary of State of your transfer to a new district, so if you're already registered, everything gets changed for you automatically.

If you're not yet registered, you can do so through your state's DMV website, or through the site of your candidate/party of choice. Here's Obama's registration page.

Vote No on California Proposition 8, you guys. Seriously.
  • edited September 2008
    Sorry Mario, bit I just cannot vote no on California proposition 8. I hope you understand.
  • edited September 2008
    I do.
  • edited September 2008
    No need to register in North Dakota, apparently.
  • edited September 2008
    I have indeed registered to vote, but I need an absentee ballot. Where can I get one of those anyway?
  • edited September 2008
    Also! Make sure all your friends and family are registered! Be a pain in the ass about it if they resist, and drag them to the polls yourself if you have to on election day.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm too young to vote...
  • edited September 2008
    Nonsense, anyone can do their civic duty!
  • edited September 2008
    I never understood this concept of "registering to vote." Here in Canada, if your mailing address is on file with any kind of government agency (say, for a driver's license) then they'll just send you your voter card in the mail which you then take to the polls on election day. Even if you don't get the card, all you have to do is take a couple of pieces of identification with you to the polling station and everything's fine.

Do they just not want people to vote in the US? Do Americans not like democracy?
  • edited September 2008
    Well I know jackshit about the Canadian political process but in most states you can only vote in the primary of the party you registered for. It's to make sure a bunch of republicans don't flock the democrat primaries and vote for Johnny McShittyCandidate. Granted I also think the majority of us hate democracy.
  • edited September 2008
    If I can vote as an absentee from 7000 miles away then you jackasses can all drive down to your local library or city hall and register.
  • edited September 2008
    Damn straight.

I lost my voter card but I found out I don't actually need it as long as I'm registered and have id, so I stopped caring about getting a replacement. I'll get a new one when I move in a couple months anyway.
  • edited September 2008
    Voter card came in the mail last week :D Stephen Harper here I come!
  • edited September 2008
    The system here is a but like the Canadian system and the American one. Namely you get registered if you send off anything official, but if you move you need to re-register or you will still be registered in your old constituency.

Which reminds me, I need to do just that...
  • edited September 2008
    I gots registered when I went and got my driver's license in early July. Woohoo!
  • edited October 2008
    Remember that you also have the right to not vote. That's an important one too.
  • edited October 2008
    Only if you're voting for the other guy!
  • edited October 2008
    I don't remember if I'm registered or not.
  • edited October 2008
    My absentee ballot has still not arrived! It is supposed to arrive any day now, but I am starting to get concerned.

Iowa normally goes Democrat anyway, but still, I want my vote to count dammit.
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, I have a friend who's at school in a Blue state this year, so even though she could easily re-register in her county, she's voting absentee in hopes that Texas can maybe actually support Obama... fat chance, but we can still try gawd dammit!!
  • edited October 2008
    I can't remember if I registered here, or in my home county. Anyone know how you go about checking that?
  • edited October 2008
    I'd suggest going to a registration place in wherever "here" is, to see if they've got a database up. Besides that, I have no idea.
  • edited October 2008
    Try this.
  • edited October 2008
    Neat. I'm registered to vote after all.
  • edited October 2008
    My absentee ballot has arrived! I will do my part to vote in the Iowa general election!

So there you have it. I'm voting from 7000 miles away. Those of you who are of age need to get out and do it. Take some pride in knowing that our elections are covered across the world. People in other countries become very involved in our political stage, yet how many of you can name the current Prime Minister of Canada? (non-Canadians excluded)

The American President is arguably one of the most important political positions in the world. People who don't vote do this country a great disservice by not recognizing the unique power they have to influence the direction of this world's history.

So get out there! Look at the candidates, and do some research! Watch the debates, hear what people are saying, and form your own educated opinion about whom you think is best suited to lead our country! And on November 4th do your part to contribute to history.
  • edited October 2008
    This:
    kukopanki wrote: »
    Remember that you also have the right to not vote. That's an important one too.

People seem to take not voting for granted. Where I live, it's obligatory. This results in uninformed, uninterested people voting for whomever spent more on propaganda instead of voting for the best choice. While you may say that this also happens in places where voting is optional, it just doesn't have such a big impact on deciding who wins the election.
  • edited October 2008
    I wholly respect the right to not vote, insofar as that it is intelligently based in a legitimate objection to the current state of political affairs.

However, 98% of the people in the US who don't vote choose not to because they are lazy, or because they think their vote won't make a difference, or because they have a general contempt for politics and just don't bother.

I don't believe it should be obligatory. I think voting is a responsibility, one that every voter should take seriously. Ideally, people would weigh the candidates and make educated opinions based on who they feel will bring their country in a direction they like. But admittedly that never happens.

I like your point of view though Roberto. I didn't know it was obligatory in Ecuador. That's really interesting. I never considered the consequences of a political structure like yours.
  • edited October 2008
    My vote doesn't matter. Democrats sweep NY every time. It's never even close.
  • edited October 2008
    None of your votes matter.

Write in Norris/Phelps.