Help with web page design

edited November 2009 in Tech
I don't think this really merits a new thread but I guess there's not really another place for this sort of thing, so I'll make it here.

I have a friend who's looking for some help with basic web design.. apparently she's not using a program and is just using HTML and CSS. So, is there anyone here who has a pretty good knowledge of how to do things in this way? I think she's already looked around on websites and stuff but still has the sort of questions that are best answered in real-time. So, anyone here willing to help me out by proxy? She's really just looking to ask some questions, I think, and is fine with either messenger or texts.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Hmmm. I have a friend who's really good at designing websites but he would probably charge and you could probably find someone just as good here for free. Or for cheaper, I dunno.

By the way, how much do you think I should pay someone to make a kickass website for me? I'm thinking of getting one set up for Eric and his artwork at some point and I'd like to request the same friend's help (kinda help him out too), but I have no idea how much I'd expect to pay.
  • edited November 2009
    I've done some basic ones using HTML, followed by some CSS and even a bit of javascript (which I don't recommend, there are server-side solutions that trump java script).

In particular I recently hand-coded this website for a bioinformatics class:
    http://students.uwf.edu/jrf13/bioinfo/gmo.htm

Let me know if any help is required. You can give her my AIM if you want: filleaufish
    or my email: john.filleau at that one webmail hosted by Google.

Or you can ask by proxy.
  • edited November 2009
    John, your gmail is now going to officially be bombarded by our friendly spambots. Congratulations.
  • edited November 2009
    Or is it? :D Thank you.
  • edited November 2009
    Working on web stuffs is sorta what I do and I've picked up a little of some things like html and css as well as php, javascript, and mySQL, but I mostly do my work in Flash. I'd say go with John on this first if he's offering. I'd consider helping, but it's not really my specialty.

Pricing on the sites I've worked on is at least in the 5 figures range I think, but I don't sell these websites and I'd sooner build my own than buy one so I don't really know what the going rate is on more personal types of sites.