How to Contribute to an Orange Belt Podcast PART DEUX

1. Draft a Script. Pretty much whatever strikes your fancy; we're not too picky.

2. Revise the Script. If you want Mario or I to take a look at it, just send it our way and we'll help you out.

3. Record. Professor MacJake recommends Audacity, which is easy to use and can convert your audio into most file types. If you want MP3 format, you'll have to download LAME as well. Their respective websites should help you get that all set up.

4. Submit! Send submissions to jake dot eyers at gmail dot com. Be sure to include how you want to be credited in the podcast, and how to correctly pronounce your name/pseudonym.

If you don't have recording capabilities, you can still contribute! Send your scripts to us and we'll have another Orange Beltian lend their silky smooth chords to your brilliant text!

Further, even if you don't use a script for recording, it would really help us out if you provide a transcript of some sort for when we post Shownotes on the website. Otherwise, I have to do it by ear and I may accidentally have you down as making threatening remarks to the President!

What are you waiting for? Do it now! It's been, what, a month since the last podcast? I'm shamed!

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Glad to see this thread return. FYI, for anyone who has Mac OS X, the latest version of GarageBand (3.0) has some really handy podcast-specific recording tools. But even the older versions of GarageBand can act as a decent open mic.
  • edited January 2006
    I read this somewhere, for those of us who can't help popping out Ps:
    Make a hoop with a coathanger and put it inside a stocking so you have a sorta stocking-coathanger ring. Whenever you record your voice, put it between your mouth (about 10cm away) and the mic to stop the plosive and breath related inperfections.
  • edited January 2006
    That's a nifty trick!
  • edited January 2006
    DOUBLE POST OF: Jake has been emailed things.
  • edited January 2006
    TRIPLE POST OF: I just realize the story reading I sent was so loooong and POSSIBLY boring. It may need to be spiced up with hot ragae jams, or split up into easily digestable sections.
  • edited January 2006
    Added a new suggestion: provide a transcript so Jakey doesn't have to do it for you. :)
  • edited January 2006
    I e-mailed you one.
  • edited February 2006
    I was thinking how I could submit to the podcast without a mic or anything like that, I didn't want to write essays or any sort of content like that, and I was racking my brain trying to figure something out.

Then I got an idea.

http://www.sererre.net/dd/?cat=9

My short conversations between the two guys I have affectionately dubbed "the waiting room guys" because of their first adventure I think would translate quite well into the realm of spokenness.

What do you guys think? It could be an occasional little part of the podcast, a little radio drama, if you will.
  • edited February 2006
    Strangely enough I was contemplating the same thing a day or two ago. Not sure why I didn't bring it up with you, but oh well. This could be pretty good, especially if it allows for awesome sound affects, like when they make a bridge.
  • edited February 2006
    That sounds positively rockin' with a capital "apostrophe"!
  • edited May 2006
    Professor! About how long, time wise, would you suggest such a contribution being? I'd like to write something up for the next, or any, podcast and it'd be nice to know a length I should shoot for.
  • edited May 2006
    hmm, I suppose it depends on who's in charge of the particular 'cast. Should I ever stop being incompetent and take the helm on one again, I would suggest maybe 2-3 minutes? (so that if we have a number of contributions everyone gets a share without the entire program getting to long). But if you're on a roll, time is of no consequence. Take as long as you think is necessary; editing is always an option later.
  • edited May 2006
    Thank you for suggesting audacity! I have been looking (well not actually looking, but thinking about looking for one) for a recording program
  • edited March 2010
    irw09452 wrote: »
    zangguanzhongiceperl2039lfpkgnnerust1202tumanluweicai72989
    Thank you for your script submission! I've taken the liberty of recording it so that it can be used in the next podcast!
  • edited March 2010
    I think I've found my new ringtone.
  • edited March 2010
    That...actually would make an amusing ringtone.