Presenting: The Zelda Comic widget!

edited April 2006 in Zelda Comic
I am aware only about 3 people on this forum have OS X tiger, however, I wanted to get into widget writing, and as such, a simple RSS reader for Zelda Comic seemed appropriate.

It was made using the Apple Sample RSS code, but I stil llike how it came out.

Any mac users, tell me what you think. (That includes mario). If you have a PC and use Yahoo widgets or programs like that, try it to see if it works, I don't know if it will. Thanks :)

Here she be!

And her in action:

picture58hx.png

Comments

• edited April 2006
    That's cool, though I don't have a Macintosh. I like how your post is in the background of the picture.
  • edited April 2006
    Well done! By the way, you don't need to take a screenshot of the whole screen, nor do you need a screenshot widget to do so... just hit Command+Shift+4 (take screenshot of selection), then Space Bar (take screenshot of one window), then click the widget. Ta-da!
  • edited April 2006
    yes. that would've been nicer to dialuppers
  • edited April 2006
    what's it supposed to be/do.. ?
  • edited April 2006
    If you have Mac OS X Tiger, you can use the dashboard, which allows you to run mini-apps called widgets when you need them. This is a widget for the dashboard.
  • edited April 2006
    1 Question... How do you post pictures or whatever? I can't seem to figure it out....... Hehehe.........
  • edited April 2006
    well, upload the picture to the net (I recommend imageshack www.imageshack.us)

Then copy the address from the uploaded image and click the image button above the post box, and paste the address in
  • edited April 2006
    OR, if you go advanced or otherwise click on post reply or Quote in someone's post there is a Manage attatchments button that'll bring up a little window through which you may attatch images (and some other files) to your post within certain size constraints.
  • edited April 2006
    Ok then.... I'll try it out.
  • edited April 2006
    Wow. It was put on the front page, and I didn't even have to berate mario.

Yay!
  • edited April 2006
    I should probably mention that Dashboard widgets do not work with Yahoo! Widgets. You have to have a Mac (but not necessarily Tiger).
  • edited April 2006
    OS X 10.5 Leopard will also suffice for running this widget, it should be noted.

And a couple of PSes:

You don't necessarily need a mac

Also, you say that the RSS feed "will give you pretty much the same information" Actually, it gives more info, as it has pictures. So you can read the comic without visiting the site.

(And I like the little addition to the RSS feeds news bit, to inform the less informed that they're reading the RSS feed)
  • edited April 2006
    I didn't really feel like going into detail with crazy hacks or yet-to-be-released operating systems. Amnesty just enables widgets to exist independently of the Dashboard, thereby allowing them to run under Panther. I was trying to assist however small a handful of people that have the ability to use widgets, and you went and complicated things!
  • edited April 2006
    Yep, thats me, the complicating son-of-a-gun.