Which decade has the best music?

edited July 2023 in Music
I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Definitely not the nineties or the two thousands.

I'd say the fifties. Golden era of jazz :)
  • edited August 2010
    I say the 2000's were AWESOME if you weren't listening to pop or mainstream rock/metal.
  • godgod
    edited August 2010
    If you look at mainstream American music, it sucks pretty bad right now. But most of my music I listen to comes from the 2000's, followed by the 90's.
  • edited August 2010
    I like a few randomly selected bands. Some of them started in the 90s, some in the 2000s. So... I dunno.
  • edited August 2010
    god wrote: »
    If you look at mainstream American music, it sucks pretty bad right now. But most of my music I listen to comes from the 2000's, followed by the 90's.

I dunno, American music lately has been shifting towards club music, which is really fun to blare in your car straight from the radio. I like it.
  • edited August 2010
    I enjoy all decades of music equally. That is, I judge the music based upon the music itself and not it's genre.

Also I don't actually listen to much music or pay attention to the year it was made in.
  • edited August 2010
    NoLonger, you probably like the 2000s because you were 13 in that decade. The music you hear at that age imprints for life.

Which is why I'll always have a soft spot for Hanson. But I chose my decades based on Queen and the Beatles, for the varied awesomeness.

Every decade has its musical geniuses. I would've chosen 1920s too, had it been on there. Some hits from the jazz age and tin pan alley were recycled as later hits: "Are You Lonesome Tonight?", "Ain't She Sweet", "It Had To Be You".
  • edited August 2010
    Why are there no options pre-1930? I loves me my classical.
  • edited August 2010
    Shostakovich for the win!
  • edited August 2010
    shakeycat wrote: »
    NoLonger, you probably like the 2000s because you were 13 in that decade. The music you hear at that age imprints for life.

It's called the Reminiscence Bump. The experiences (music/movies/others) you have from the ages of 13 to 25 will be the fondest in your memory... Looks like I learned something in college after all!
  • edited August 2010

I know, and the extremely dense sound that comes from a lot of the bands I listen to has imprinted on me.

It's not like I'm shallow, but because the musical style is so vastly different from anything you hear from these decades (besides things like Pink Floyd) I have a hard time really appreciating the older stuff.
  • edited August 2010
    Gotta go with the sixties. The true birth of rock and roll! Not like that lame fifties rock and roll, eff that noise.
  • edited August 2010
    It's called the Reminiscence Bump. The experiences (music/movies/others) you have from the ages of 13 to 25 will be the fondest in your memory... Looks like I learned something in college after all!

Shite, running out of time to imprint, then the window closes and I become old and crotchety :( Thanks !!
  • edited August 2010
    Shite, running out of time to imprint, then the window closes and I become old and crotchety :( Thanks !!

I'm right there with you buddy! (25 in November)
  • edited August 2010

Is that why I love Miss Congeniality 2?
  • edited August 2010
    I never knew that either... I've got 5 more years to make some freaking awesome memories before I'm too old for anything to seem worthwhile anymore.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm disappointed in everyone here. The 90s were when NSync debuted their first album and introduced us all to Justin Timberlake. How could you all forget that?

For shame!
  • edited August 2010
    Well personally, the bands and genres I really enjoy only started to come together in the late 80's and early 90's. When ska, punk, and grunge still actually existed.

Speaking objectively, I'd probably go with the 60's or maybe the 70's. Good music was being put out all the time in every genre back then.
  • edited August 2010
    Can Adam and the other old people enlighten us on what life is like after our brains close the doors at 25?
  • edited August 2010
    You get uncontrollable urges to yell at kids to get off your lawn.
  • edited August 2010
    geoko wrote: »
    Is that why I love Miss Congeniality 2?

And Hangman's Curse...
  • edited August 2010
    I don't think my brain has closed. But I've always made a conscious effort to try and view things objectively. Maybe that helps? I don't think I like anything from when I was 13-25 that wasn't actually good. I can look at a lot of the things I did like before and I now think most of it is just ok, or annoying. I can't enjoy listening to Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains anymore. I only listen to Metallica very rarely. I found Kishidan after I was 25 and like it. I started listening to Queen, The Beetles, and Pink Floyd all in that age range and I still like them, but I don't think that's nostalgia.
  • edited September 2010
    50s to 70s. Oldies stations are the best.
  • edited September 2010
    40's, Im on an Ink Spots kick.
  • edited September 2010
    I can't answer this poll. I'm musically disinclined and hate all music. Ever. Just subtract 1 from every category to count my music hate in.

Or, y'know, don't do that because that was a lie. Really, I can't answer this because I'd just end up doing as Adam did and checking them all. Every decade has music that quite good and every decade has some real stinkers.

I can listen to old music from video games of the 1990's and 2000's and really enjoy the hell out of it, but I'm not prepared to claim victory for 1990's and 2000's just because of it.
  • edited September 2010
    You can check multiple options?

*Scrolls up*

Oh oh oh! Those are check boxes not radio buttons, sweet deal, I guess I'll vote for everything now.