The Orange Belt's Great American/British Bastardisation Cookbook!

edited July 2023 in Food and Recipes
Well, my meatloaf went down a treat. Even my father, the xenophobe found it delicious!

But I wanna go a bit further, and make other traditional American dishes and would like recipes (Just like mama made!)

But here's the thing: I will be giving your recipes a traditional British flair. It'll be the start of a new cross-atlantic culinary relationship such as the world has never known!

When done, I will post my recipes so you can all try them out too!

So hit me up with as many American recipes as you can!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Waffles!

Donuts!

Hotdogs!
  • edited October 2010
    Beer batter pancakes!
  • edited October 2010
    Hamburgers and other terrible fast food?
  • edited October 2010
    Sloppy Joes!

Which according to movies are the only thing served in American high-school cafeterias other than Corn Dogs.

Akso: Corn Dogs!
  • edited October 2010
    RIBS!
  • edited October 2010
    I guess that depends on where you are in America. If you're in the south...
    Deep Fried Butter!
  • edited October 2010
    I feel bad for potentially breaking this thread with the first post....

Post recipes, you crazy seppos!

ETA: I personally would like to know more about Sloppy Joes, with the personal touch that Google can't yet bring.
  • edited November 2010
    Apathy wrote: »
    Sloppy Joes!

Which according to movies are the only thing served in American high-school cafeterias other than Corn Dogs.

Gross pizza.

Also, have you never had a sloppy joe? They're delicious!

Lessee... more American food.... is Frito Pie american? What about chili in general?
  • edited November 2010
    Rip-off Mexican food? That's American right?
  • edited November 2010
    Mish42 wrote: »
    Apathy wrote: »
    Sloppy Joes!

Gross pizza.

My school had pretty awesome pizza, actually.
  • edited November 2010
    Steak. Giant slabs of meat are pretty American.
  • edited November 2010
    I find that the best Sloppy Joes come from experimentation. We use lentils instead of meat, buf for the sauce, we use tomato sauce and barbeque sauce as the base and add flavor with hot sauce (usually sriracha) and worchestershire sauce with a dash of brown sugar. Oh, and we generally add either diced garlic or garlic powder. We also like to put in diced onion and yellow/orange/red peppers into the mix and let it all simmer together for about half an hour.

So, really, brown the beef, mix the tomato and barbeque sauces, add the meat, add the flavorings and vegetables if you want, and simmer it. Pretty easy, but I find that the result is far superior to Manwich. Sorry I can't really give measurements, but the recipe isn't really picky, so just aim for the right consistency and you should be fine.

Lessee.... what else? We do make a pretty good beer-crust pizza... also we have made simple yet tasty biscuits and sausage gravy. And all you really need is milk, flour, salt, and pepper.