Frog and Toad Meet Mr. Bump

Back in elementary school, we had access to a cheap, simple book publishing process; we would write and draw our stories, and the librarian would laminate the pages, punch holes and apply plastic binding. Some of my fondest school memories involved churning out story after story and seemingly having them immortalized in real book form.

Cut to the modern era, where I have been collecting old childhood artwork as Apple Cow fodder (turns out I'm still making those???). During one of these scanning sessions, I came across one of my old books.

Then I discovered this book was actually an early attempt at crossover fanfiction and told the story of Frog and Toad meeting Mr. Bump!

So I've decided to treat this a little differently than Apple Cow. Not only because the characters are protected under copyright law (and I've never created webcomics primarily featuring copyrighted characters), but also because, as a completed work, I felt a more appropriate (and entertaining) action would be to release it in its entirety to an unsuspecting Internet.

I'll probably eventually add the pages to Dot Matrix for archival purposes, but for the time being I've created a Tumblr blog dedicated to this project. Tune in to Frog and Toad Meet Mr. Bump for weekly page uploads and hopefully humorous commentary as I delve into the creative mind of my nine-year-old self!

Comments

• edited August 2012
    This could be awesome, but I forget who Mr. Bump is.

Are you going to be notifying us of updates here as well? I'm terribly bad at keeping track of tumblrs.
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah, I'll probably embed each page image into this thread, and once all the posts are done I'll figure out a good way to archive the book on Dot Matrix. But the blog will have big ol' posts written for each entry! Ryan North's B to the F tumblr was such a cool way to present book commentary that I got inspired.

Here's Mr. Bump in animated form:

• edited August 2012
    Mr Heteronormative was my favourite
  • edited August 2012
    tumblr_m8zwx8p5dg1reogwho1_500.jpg

(click the page to see the blog post)

(same goes for all future pages too)
  • edited August 2012
    Mr. Tickle 4 lyphe
  • edited August 2012
    HEATHEN
  • edited August 2012
    I have locked in a Monday-Wednesday-Friday update schedule. Apparently if you finished the entire story twenty years ago, you can just put 'em up whenever you want!

This means Frog and Toad Meet Mr. Bump will probably be the only webcomic I've ever released 100% on schedule on time.
  • edited August 2012
    I'll be holding you to that.

dMvIk.jpg
  • edited August 2012
    Well, maybe if we'd finally make the series finale for Witchs Brew, you could have two.
  • edited August 2012
    We can never do that, then we'd never be able to hold a brew-that-never-gets-finished again!
  • edited August 2012
    Fuck that noise. Witch's Brew runs until the heat death of the goddamned Universe.
  • edited August 2012
    tumblr_m90nljZ2c71reogwho1_500.jpg
  • edited August 2012
    So, what, I'm just supposed to help this guy find his shit? Make me care about him before you send me on, frankly, a very easy and somewhat pointless search for this guy's bandages.

How did they even get crossed over anyway? They're wrapped around him!
  • edited August 2012
    This being crossover fanfiction, I'm guessing The Author assumed at least a passing familiarity with the source material of each character before reading. If you've never read Mr. Bump, I highly recommend looking for a copy at your local library, but the basic summary is that he's a clumsy guy that bumps into things and sustains continuous injury.

The bandage shown on this page is likely an example so you know what to look for.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm pretty sure Mr. Clumsy is the clumsy one.
  • edited August 2012
    Image search result NUMBER ONE.
  • edited August 2012
    Well, looks like Google is just as misinformed as you are, then.
  • edited August 2012
    tumblr_m912qy3NBr1reogwho1_500.jpg
  • edited August 2012
    tumblr_m9eewynwlB1reogwho1_500.jpg
  • edited August 2012
    I refuse to believe the sun can have cold indifference. It can't have cold anything!
  • edited August 2012
    Temperature does not equate to emotional state! Also sunspots are much colder than the rest of the Sun. So it's relative.
  • edited August 2012
    preview.k8wT6EgLktCj5Uny_500.jpg

Special sneak peek! Because it's easier to make this post at night than at work tomorrow morning.
  • edited August 2012
    Those pencil scratchings have not aged well.
  • edited August 2012
    Keep following the blog, it transcribes the text for easier reading.
  • edited August 2012
    Indeed. Except being a sneak peek there wasn't a blog post for that page yet!

DILEMMA!!!

Except that there's totally one now so it doesn't matter.
  • edited August 2012
    I was going to make a joke about how weird it is that the sun is staring at this particular situation and not anything on the rest of the entire earth, but your tumblr kinda beat me to it. I'm actually enjoying the blog summaries even more than the story itself, keep it up.
  • edited August 2012
    Glad you like it! I'm having a blast doing these write-ups.

And stick with the story. It takes some INTERESTING TURNS (I've read it all) (and also wrote it I guess).
  • edited August 2012
    tumblr_m9lyza2IbY1reogwho1_500.jpg
  • edited September 2012
    tumblr_m9rerhlVqw1reogwho1_500.jpg
  • edited September 2012
    These remain wonderful.