Merry Christmas Eve ∞!

edited July 2023 in Events
Tidings of joy to all!

2012 may not have been the most active on the belt, but by gum we will still have a Christmas Eve thread!

To all: Have a very Merry Christmas, enjoy your family time and masses of game and vegetables coupled with terribly camp TV!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I'm in the US for Christmas! And for longer. I am quite happy to be stateside.
  • edited December 2012
    I'm having a pretty good Christmas so far! I've seen friends I haven't seen in a good year or so, and I'm hanging out with my family. Plus, new Quentin Tarantino movie on Christmas day. Bonus!
  • edited December 2012
    You mean the Les Miserables movie, surely?
  • edited December 2012
    Any year that the world doesn't end is always a good year. Especially on Christmas
  • edited December 2012
    We are officially on Post-Mayan time now I believe. I have to wrap gifts yet...
  • edited December 2012
    In Vienna's family it's traditional to do most of it on Christmas Eve whilst getting slightly drunk. In for a penny, I guess...
  • edited December 2012
    Actually, didn't they find more Mayan Calendar in some previously undiscovered ruins some months ago? Maybe I'm delusional, but I seem to recall that occurring.
  • edited December 2012
    Merry Christmas, OB

Family went to uncle's house for dinner.
  • edited December 2012
    Merry Christmas Eve, everybody.
  • edited December 2012
    Merry cold weather everyone!
  • edited December 2012
    I did my gift wrapping. On gift will require some fairly aggressive tools to open, so that should be fun.
  • edited December 2012
    Is there another easy to open gift in the form of a chainsaw to get the first gift open? I feel like that's a thing you should do.
  • edited December 2012
    My family opened up all the presents whilst getting mildly drunk this Christmas Eve (excluding the younger autistic brother), and tomorrow will involve sleeping in and hanging around the house with my parents. Good times.
  • edited December 2012
    For Christmas, we met our extended family for dinner and gifts at my grandmother's house like every year. But when we left we took several cousins with us... they got drunk in the basement and we played pool and Rock Band all night. Seven-part "Don't Stop Believing" is a thing of beauty.
  • edited December 2012
    It is indeed!!! My New Years Plans this year involve celebrating at a Karaoke place with a couple close friends and friends of friends, one of those private rooms where you can drink all the liquid-courage you want and sing at the top of your lungs. This is a tradition continuing from last year... should be fun!

Also, I didn't realize, my Uncle and Aunt came over yesterday and we went out for a Chinese Buffet for lunch. Always keepin it classy, lol.
  • edited December 2012
    Chinese take-out is a long-standing Christmas Eve tradition at my house. Also Christmas Eve is probably the second-biggest party night of the year for us, after New Years.
  • edited December 2012
    My family exchanged t-shirts. Mine was "wrapped" in a wooden box nailed completely shut. Other gifts involved lots of duct tape. I used an exacto knife to open mine. So pretty tame wrap jobs all around, but it was nice anyway.
  • edited December 2012
    Christmas update!

I got a gaming chair as my big gift. It has a speaker and subwoofer built in, and it's pretty comfy! My dad wrapped one of my old chairs from when I was a kid and put a whole bunch of electronic hookups on it and said that was the gift. It was pretty damn funny. I wasn't able to see Django Unchained because I had to drive back to Pierre, and apparently the 3 screen theater here thinks Billy Crystal is a bigger draw on christmas day than Quentin Tarantino. They'd better get it soon.
  • edited December 2012
    We played Charades after Christmas brunch at my Grandma's. We did things like famous people, publications, and books. Problem was that my family is stupidly well-read, so even publications like Der Spiegel and people like Chairman Mao were guessed in under a minute (under 15 seconds in the case of Mao).
  • edited December 2012
    Merry fourth day of Christmas, Orange Beltianites!
  • edited December 2012
    Hope you all had a merry Christmas, and have a great year. I foresee 2013 as the year that the world finally gets a decent hobo baby sandwich restaurant. It's time.
  • edited December 2012
    You really think so?
  • edited January 2013
    For sure. Think about it. WHERE ELSE can the restaurant/fast-food industry go?
  • edited January 2013
    Touché. I know a guy who ate a McRib at a semi-local McDonalds sometime recently. If these were in fact hobo baby sandwiches...wouldn't that be something!
  • edited January 2013
    Ugh, my dad likes those. I've tried I think two of them in my life... I don't get why they keep bringing them back.
  • edited January 2013
    The Wikipedia entry mention they're seasonal now. Or something.
  • edited November 2013
    My neighbor put up his Christmas lights today. It is November 16th.

I love Christmas as much as (or more than) the next guy, but I feel like it sorta cheapens the holiday by decorating at your convenience rather than waiting till after Thanksgiving. Makes it seem like he's putting up lights as some sort of obligation rather than out of actual Christmas spirit.
  • edited November 2013
    Either pull his lights down or one-up him and set up St. Patrick's Day decorations.
  • edited November 2013
    Valentine's Day may also work, but otherwise I'm inclined to agree if you're looking for a good passive-aggressive solution.