Orange Belt Liquor Cabinet!

edited July 2023 in Food and Recipes
I'm not much of a drinker really, I try not to get drunk, but I do kick one back now and then. The thing is, all my roommate buys is vodka (Absolut, specifically) and because of the sparse selection of mixers around her, I'm getting a little sick of screwdrivers and daiquiris.

All my other friend drinks is Jack Daniels or beer, neither of which I'm particularly fond of.

Any suggestions? I know a few of you around here drink and I'd like to know what to try out. I'm completely unacquainted with whatever brands stuff comes in, and I don't really have much cash knocking around, but any suggestion would be helpful to broaden my alcohol horizons.

Cheers.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Evan Williams is extremely cheap whiskey. Caffeine free Dr Pepper is good.

Combine the two.
  • edited February 2007
    One of my favorite drinks for a long time has been Gin and Tonic. Being the miserly old man I am, I usually sprung for really cheap Gin (the bottom shelf, plastic bottle, $8 or so for 1.5L variety - no Beefeater for Jakey). Some tonic water, some lemon or lime juice, voila! Tasty! Slice/Sprite/etc will also work in a pinch.
  • edited February 2007
    Thank you guys.

I ended up making a Gimlet, it was pretty good, although I think I like lemon in drinks better. And I made a bit too much.

I am a little tipsy, but I corrected all my typographic mistakes.
  • edited February 2007
    I always seem to find myself mixing Bawls and Vodka, if I mix anything at all. Simple, somewhat cost effective, and pretty damn good.
  • edited February 2007
    I find myself not drinking, and always being the designated driver.

I'm fairly certain that I'm the only person in North Dakota who doesn't drink.
  • edited February 2007
    It's the best if you can get people to buy you dinner in exchange for being the designated driver.
  • edited February 2007
    I recently discovered this great pre-mixed drink called Hot Sex. It tastes like Baileys with spice (specifically ginger). I don't know how common it is, but a decent sized bottle is only 8 dollars near here.
  • edited February 2007
    I find myself in the same boat as Takeru. I don't drink. But the difference is that I don't end up being a designated driver either. The key is as simple as not hanging out with people who drink.

It's kind of ironic that I don't drink considering my actual name, but whatever.
  • edited February 2007
    My preferred drink is rum and coke. After a couple drinks, I quit drinking the coke, because it gets in the way of rum.

Then I get horribly sick and proceed to cockblock Behemoth for several hours while waiting for illithid to pick me up.
  • edited February 2007
    I had long island iced teas for the first time last weekend. Those are good. Smirnoff Ice does not taste like alcohol at all. Any drink that is clear is bad. This includes tequila and vodka. The ultimate is just a bottle of whiskey! It makes me feel like a gruff old man! That, or a bottle of red wine with dinner is good. White wine is too clear for me.
  • edited February 2007
    Man, I could sure go for an ice-cold-pint-of-Bass.

(and a Tanqueray & Pellegrino w/ lime)
  • edited February 2007
    I don't do alot of drinking considering how underagey I am.

My friend the belmont, however, really enjoys ghetto 40s of beer, Red Stripe particularly.

Hooray Beer!
  • edited February 2007
    Underagey? Probably not a great idea to publicize that.
  • edited February 2007
    If what tends to be around you is vodka and JD, the cheapest thing to do is buy stuff to mix with what your friends have already purchased. Tennessee Tea is Cranberry Juice, grape juice, and JD. About a quarter and quarter of the juices and half JD, pour into a glass of ice and you're all set. It'll go down smooth. A great alternative to screwdrivers and daquiiris are vodka tonics. same recipe as the Jake gave for the gin and tonic, just use the vodka. Gin and tonic usually uses lime and vodka tonic usually has lemon. Otherwise, go here.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm not legal yet. But you'll hear about it on the news February 7, 2014.

EDIT-O-TRON: I bet I just made you guys feel really old. Sorry.
  • edited February 2007
    ........ wow, that tops that Family Guy line, where the Playboy bunny says that she was born in 1987...
  • edited June 2010
    I AM A NECROMANCER BEHOLD MY NECROTHREADING AND DESPAIR

What have you folks got in your cabinets? I've got some Bombay Sapphire Gin, Bacardi Rum, and some generic Triple Sec, which is what I use the most frequently.

Kahlua, Bacardi Gold rum, and Absolut Pear are also in my cabinet. The Kahlua is like two years old and may have to be thrown away. I just forgot about it for a while. Same with the Bacardi Gold rum. The Absolut Pear came free with a bottle of regular Absolut a while back. It tastes awful, I have no use for it. But I have trouble bringing myself to throw any alcohol away.
  • edited June 2010
    I pretty much only drink Hammer and Tongs, it's cheap and manly.

I disagree with the review there though, it's at least a B+.

Failing that I drink a lot of Hahn and Carlton draft. Occasionally Crown.

As for the undrinkable stuff you've got knocking about, just make it penalty drinks if you ever play party games.
  • edited June 2010
    I only play party games with myself, because my friends are lame and don't drink. I don't like this idea.
  • edited June 2010
    In that case I suggest converting your unwanted booze into a Molotov.

It's fun and useful.
  • edited June 2010
    In what normal situation is a Molotov more useful than a simple match or lighter?
  • edited June 2010
    I suggest drinking it anyway. It's booze.